Just a few notes from the chapter written by TK about his story auditioning for American Idol:
- Story of choosing to audition for American Idol. Before he believed that the primary purpose for following dreams was to actually achieve them, but then he discovered that the main purpose is the movement towards self-knowledge & self-actualization which is what following your dreams inspires. It’s a creative journey but also an evolutionary journey. You’ll not be the same person as when you first conceived of your dream: there are challenges, fears, mistakes, moments of ecstasy, people you meet which will activate previously unknown aspects of your soul. The daring version of you that tries something and fails is superior than the version that never tries at all.
- The reward of self-knowledge & self-actualization is a meaningful, fulfilling and adventurous life. None of this happens within the comfort zone. It happens on the yellow brick road of Oz, frightening as it is thrilling. At the end of the road you’ll discover the real magic was inside your soul all along and the road was one of self-discovery.
- W.E.B. Du Bois: “The most important thing to remember is this: to be ready at any moment to give up what you are for what you might become.”
- If you want to be fascinating, do thing that fascinate you. If you want to be inspiring, do things that inspire you. If you want to invoke ambition in others, demand great things of yourself.
- One day all you’ll have is your stories. So go live a life that makes an interesting and intoxicating story to tell.